Nirvana Magazine

"...is an online magazine run by Nirvana Fans for Nirvana fans..."


Download Shed-loads of Tracks on Napster
i.e. "Nirvana Albums" or "Nirvana Live Concert"

Monday 9 June 2008

What are your memories of Cobain and his music?

It's quite amazing, I tried to prevent my daughter from being influenced by this degenerate music and lyrics - it didn't work now I can't stop myself playing his songs whenever I take up the guitar, but I can cope with the smirk from my daughter.
Cliff, Ipswich

There's something strangely romantic about those who die young. I was a massive Nirvana fan and believe Cobain had immense talent. I can't help thinking, however, that were he still alive, would we treat him with the same awe? Would he have become just another media clown, à la John Lydon, who was the Cobain of his day? I'm glad Nirvana ended when it did, it's just a pity it was under such horrendous circumstances.
Mike, Hull, England

I first heard Nirvana's music in 1993 after the release of In Utero, when I was eleven years old. I was immediately taken with the raw energy and powerful sound. At that time I had little knowledge of the problems Kurt was going through as I paid little attention to the music press, however this allowed me to enjoy the music without bias.

Kurt's music was ultimately responsible for turning me into the music fan I am today. Before Nirvana, I was not really into music. They helped me discover the passion and beauty behind a simple melody or chord progression and the powerful effect they can have on a person. Kurt was also responsible for me discovering many bands I would never have even heard of, such as the Vaselines and Beat Happening.

So rather than reflect on the celebrity death cult that is 'Kurdt Kobain', I prefer to remember him as the music lover and the brilliant artist. Thank you Kurt, you changed my life.
Jazz, York

Reading Festival '92, with a million rumours circulating that Nirvana had pulled out of their headline slot, the most common one being that they'd been replaced with Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine. Eventually they took to the stage, Kurt being pushed on in a wheelchair before standing up, singing two notes and collapsing. Kris muttered, "I think he's gonna make it". They played such a fantastic set that night that I almost didn't care that my tent had been washed away when we got back to the site, and I ended up sleeping in Paddington station.
Pat, Essex, England


He was perhaps the purest, most human voice in rock music
Marc, London
Having been brought up on Michael Jackson, Madonna and clean pop, Nirvana were like a breath of fresh air. Going through adolescence the Nevermind album somehow made everything easier.

Kurt's suicide robbed the world of his talent but guarantees Nirvana will live on forever.
Vhora, UK

Kurt Cobain inspired a generation. In the most unexpected backwaters there was a new scene. Our scene was The Squirrel. Just thinking about him conjours up images of underage kids with cheap cider and special brew, throwing themselves off chairs and tables, then throwing up in the car park. They were good times, probably the best. On the day he died, anyone who owned an electric guitar turned up to play (or at least try) Nirvana's songs. Everyone cried, then said goodbye. After Kurt there was no scene anymore. We all moved on, emptily...
Fraser Irving, Sheffield, UK

He let it all out, and so did we. A genius.
Dave, UK

He was perhaps the purest, most human voice in rock music. A man who in his own struggle to understand himself, discovered the means to express, in the most original and authentic fashion, the desperation and emptiness that an entire generation felt plagued by. What's truly sad, is that 10 years on, young people feel an even greater detachment from the society the rest of us engage in, and all of the possibilities it holds for them.
Marc, London, England

Kurt would've hated all this.
Martin Temperton, London, England

I was living in Germany at the time and heard the awful news on the radio. Although the warning signs had been in press for months, there was still that feeling of disbelief. Our generation lost one of its heroes
Jason, Kings Langley, UK

Cobain's suicide was a devastating time for those of us who followed the Seattle sound, I was 19 in 1994, and just starting to realise my own music tastes. I think we too easily forget that Nirvana weren't the only band of the 'grunge' era (no Nirvana fan ever called it that) and that others from that time, including Dave Grohl and Pearl Jam, are making music now that inspires people today.

Kurt Cobain will never know what that's like, and his daughter will never know the kind of father she had. In hindsight, for me, the music he created meant more than the suicide that took him away.
Sarah, London, UK


I know that my sons will see Nirvana as I see Led Zeppelin
Ernesto Lomelí, Tijuana, México
My earliest recollection of Cobain would have had to have been around 1990 when Nirvana played the main stage at the Reading Festival. Twelve months later; a friend of mine who booked up and coming bands to play Liverpool University Students Union managed to tentatively book them as the main act on a Saturday night.

Then unfortunately, the Friday before, Nirvana happened to make their UK TV debut on The Word on Channel 4. When my friend tried to re-confirm them for the following weekend, their booking fee (via there UK agents) suddenly quadrupled thus needing a second mortgage in order to book them!
Paul Laverty, London via Liverpool

There are very few true musical legends, but Kurt Cobain is without doubt one of the greatest. The profound effect that Cobain and Nirvana had in the 90s has moulded an entire generation of 20-somethings like myself, into who they are today.

What makes Kurt a true star, is that as time goes on, memories of him and his music do not diminish. They become stronger, and his legend lives on....I see teenagers of today wearing Nirvana shirts, and I know that Cobain will live forever, as he deserves. Although incredibly upset at the time of his death, I've come to realise that it was his destiny - he will be a true inspiration to generations to come and will never be forgotten.
Jodie, Northampton, UK

Source: news.bbc.co.uk

Have Your Say?


Let others Nirvana Fans read about your ideas and views about this topic.

posted by kanx1976 at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home